Your Crown Point Chiropractor’s Advice to Keep it Away From the Start!
Author: Dr. Ashley Nelson
Chiropractic Physician at Optimal Chiropractic in Crown Point, Indiana
You have sharp, radiating, striking pains pounding from your butt to your feet. Constantly aching and having to maneuver your body to get back comfortable, then out of nowhere- there the pain shoots again. YOU HAVE THE DREADED SCIATICA! Sciatica is one to the most common musculosketal issues I see stroll in to my office every single day. Although it is one of the most debilitating nervous system impingements that a person can encounter; it is also something that chiropractors are extremely good at treating, relieving, and keeping from returning when a patient is compliant to recommendation and treatment protocol.
When people experience severe sciatica, the first question I always get is “Why and how did this happen?!” I always evaluate their lifestyles, spinal alignment, muscle and bone density, extracurricular activities, and social history to help them understand why this happened to them and hopefully help them understand how to change these things to keep it from coming back. So why does sciatica happen?
- What’s your occupation? People that work in very manual and physical occupation tend to develop sciatica due to poor ergonomic lifting and working techniques. Are you always bending over and hinging at your hips to lift? Think of the effect this is placing on your vertebral discs. If you think you are invincible from sciatica in your twenty-something age; you probably won’t feel so invincible from this when you reach your 40’s and this poor technique catches up with you.
- Are you always sitting? Do you really think not moving from your desk chair all day long is good for your body and your spine? The worst thing you can do for your spine is to become non-mobile. Take a walk around the office. Take a walk around during your lunch. Get up every single hour and stretch and move. Your mentality and your spine will thank you in the future.
- Are you overweight? Did you know the most common cause of sciatic nerve compression is due to repetitive and chronic pressure placed on the spine due to the extra pounds you are loading on your body every single day. I have found over my years of practice that the first two things that cease when a patient starts losing weight is: 1. They get relief of their sciatica 2. They no longer have knee and feet pain. Whether you need to shed a few pounds or a 100 pounds- Your body will thank you.
- Are you an athlete or avid gym goer? Is the gym bad? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Is continually maximum loading and max-out deadlifts, bench press, squat, etc hard on your body? Ummm… YES! Although deadlifting 1000 pounds is very impressive; Do you really think that is not going to harm your body in the short or long future if you continue pounding your spine with severe weight? Always use intelligence when you go to the gym. The truth is, most of us are regular people that use exercise as a way to be more healthy; therefore, unless you are a professional powerlifter that is pulling semis as their career- there is really no reason to show off and compromise your spinal health.
- Are you a female that is either pregnant or have children? Pregnant or postnatal patients are one of my specialties at Optimal Chiropractic in Crown Point. Do you know the strain that pregnancy places on the spine due to shifting weight? Do you know how much stress having babies places on your hips, lumbar spine, and all the ligaments and muscles of the pelvis? The best thing for you to do is see your chiropractor before, during, and after pregnancy so your spine and prepare itself for this stress and counter optimally.
- How’s your lifestyle? Are you stressed? Do you smoke? Are you depressed or anxious? All these characteristics have a direct impact on your spine! If you have had neck or back pain chronically throughout your life, then it is very likely that sciatica will get your eventually if you do not treat these localized type of pain. Take care of spine, and it will take care of you!