“Free Flu Shots!” “Flu Shots for only 5 bucks!” Yes, we are coming upon flu season and people are rushing in and standing in line. It’s a very controversial topic, but not one that I’m going to shy away from. Results of flu shots are mixed. I would never tell you what to do for yourself or your families; but I do feel like it’s important to lay out the facts, the pros, the cons, and the research so you are able to make an informed decision for yourself.
What is the flu? Simply stated it is a respiratory infection that causes symptoms of chills, fever, sore throat, aches and pains; typically lasting approximately a week. Some people make it through the flu season without a scratch, year after year. Others walk outside on the first day of frost and are sidelined for a week. Some people swear by the flu shot to protect themselves; others get the flu shot and almost immediately get the flu. So what gives? Is it the “strains”? Is it genetics? Is it luck? To understand the flu shot, you must first understand what is in the shot.
The flu shot is essential dead flu viruses that are mixed in a concoction and injected in to your bodies. The problem with the flu shot, is that some of these “dead viruses” survive the chemical scrubbing process that kills them and then can infect immuno-compromised individuals that get the shot. “I got the flu shot, and a day later I had the flu!!” Sound familiar? Did you know that 90% of the people that get the flu each year actually had the flu shot? What these dead viruses are supposed to do is form antibodies to the flu. This means you get the flu shot, 3 weeks later antibodies should be formed to the strains of flu virus that were inserted in your body causing you to not get the flu, right? Well, that’s the efficacy behind it! CDC finds that flu vaccines are 92% effective. What does that mean? It means that after screening “x” amount of people, they came back 3 weeks later and found that antibodies were formed for the flu in 92% of these people. However, does that even count the people that got the flu prior to the antibodies being formed? No. Does that take in account the people that immediately got the flu post flu vaccine, but obviously 3 week later had formed antibodies to the flu that they inquired anyways from the shot? No. Actually did you know there is no difference in percentage of people that get the flu that got the flu shot versus people that did not get the flu shot? NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL! Putting chemicals, preservatives, aluminum & mercury in your body really gave you no better outcome than if you did not.
It’s frustrating. Who should you trust? Can the flu be life threatening? Absolutely! So do your research. What do people that die from the flu actually die from? The answer is dehydration. Rarely do these people die from infection. They die from diarrhea and vomiting which all leads to dehydration and ultimately death. Ultimately, only you can make decisions for or against the flu shot for yourself and your family. You are the best person to trust when it comes to your own health, so do your research and think wisely. I do want to give you some tips and suggestions to combat the flu naturally.
- Getting Chiropractic Adjustments: Research shows those under regular chiropractic care have a 200% stronger immunity than those that are not. Blood tests reveal that there is an increase in CD4 cells (immunity cells) following cervical, or neck, adjustments.
- Regular Moderate Exercise: Moderate exercise such as walking 45 minutes 5 days a week boosts the activity of natural killer cells, which help fight viruses and malignancies in the body.
- Vitamin D: Getting appropriate amounts of sunshine or UV exposure through a safe tanning bed (or taking a vitamin D supplement when you can’t get healthy amounts of UVB exposure) is a KEY preventive strategy against the cold and flu, as it has an extraordinary strengthening effect on your immune system. If you are in an area that does not allow you to get adequate sun exposure, and you don’t have access to a safe tanning bed, adults should take 5,000 to 10,000 IU of vitamin D per day, depending on body weight. For children, 2,000 IU per day is typically adequate.
- Eat right for your nutritional type, including avoiding sugar.
- Eat garlic regularly.
- Consume a high-quality krill oil daily Omega 3’s.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Address emotional stress.
- Wash your hands regularly (but not excessively)
Visit us today at Optimal Chiropractic in Crown Point, Indiana 46307 so we can make you happier and healthier today! (219) 661-8680